Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday, 13MAR2011 First Sunday of Lent

Today I woke up at 0530 and got ready for church. I have to get to church at 0700 for singing practice. I got there on time and everything went well. I had heard the service before so it was difficult to stay awake even though it was a good sermon, I was just really tired. The sermon was on the temptations of Christ mentioned in the Bible during His forty day fast. He said the same categories of temptations tempt us today, in that we are tempted to define ourselves by what we do, who we know, or what we have. All of these are incorrect because we should define ourselves as children of God.

After Protestant service I went to LDS. It was a good service. In Sunday school we studied the parables of Jesus. We only got to the parable of the sower but we were encouraged to read the others on our own. After church I met with the Branch President and he gave me some council.

After that was Victory Gospel Experience. VGE is my favorite church because they worship loudly and proudly and they have various forms of worship, such as the dance ministry. The sermon was by Brother Miller, who runs the Monday night Bible study. I love the way he preaches. He taught about how we need to grow where we are planted and realize that just because we are here in Iraq doesn't mean we gt a break from serving in the church. I'm glad last week I had a talk with my friend and he said as long as I'm serving in the Christian church somewhere that's what matters. I've always felt bad about not serving in VGE because I am always late after Sunday school. After he taught that Brother Miller transitioned into teaching that we all should look for 3 people in the church. Our Paul, Our Barnabus, and our Timothy. Our Paul is our mentor and the one we look to on doctrinal issues. I have a lot of those but if I had to choose just one it would probably be Brother Miller. Our Barnabus is our friend, someone who helps us stay on the strait and narrow. I don't really have one of those, but if I had to choose somebody I'd say my friend Percy. Lastly, our Timothy is the person we are mentoring and strengthening in the faith. I guess that would be Bentley. After VGE I went to eat with a bunch of people from there.

All afternoon I just watched YouTube videos and relaxed then at 1700 I went to church. It was my first week picking songs for that service and the Chaplain complemented one of the song choices so I felt good. I should say here that I couldn't have done it without Sara. She sends me the songs she is going to use in her service and I just approve them or choose new ones.

After church I ate with some people from the 1830 church and then I came home and was online chatting with my brother Evan and Lydia at the same time when Sgt Dow came over and we talked for about a half hour then Lydia called and we talked until I started this blog, now I am going to go work on my Bible reading so that I will finish sometime this century.

No comments:

Post a Comment